Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Legend of Steel Bashaw, Part 1

In November 1993, a little more than two years after my arrival to the Netherlands, I started a painting just to please myself. At that time I did not know that this painting would mark the beginning of a long and wondrous journey which would eventually find its haven in what is now known as The Legend of Steel Bashaw. A few months after the first painting was finished I did another one. Then forced by the necessity of earning the living, I had to abandon the project.  It took another seven years until I was able to proceed with the work on the project and make the third painting.
The Legend of Steel Bashawe is a retold version of one of the most popular Serbian fairytales, Baš Čelik. I rewrote the original folktale and painted 16 pictures. The process of creation of this book was long and uncertain and it took me 15 years to finish it. Of course, I haven’t been working on the project constantly for 15 years. There were many breaks of which the longest one, as mentioned,  lasted for seven years. Eventually I finished the book in August 2008 and a few months later it was published in Serbia by Zmaj. In 2010 the American publisher Flesk Publications published the US edition of the book. Compared to the Serbian edition, the US edition is an expanded edition containing 20 additional pages. It has a bonus section titled The making of The Legend of Steel Bashaw  that includes the sketches, preliminary drawings and a number of insightful descriptions of the process of making the book.  
    
November 1993
                                                                                                                                

 
                                                                                                   
1994
                                                                                     

 

2001
                                   



The US edition, 2010

If you would like to purchase the US edition of the book, please go to
Or go to
Thank you!




23 comments:

  1. Beautiful book. It has a treasured spot in my bookcase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to get this book on Christmas. ( I have already put it on my "wish list" and hinted heavily to my wife about it.) MY FINGERS ARE CROSSED!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Congratulations! I have to buy a book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great. I guess I've seen some of the work in Spectrum but it'll be better to have it all and all together with the story. Your cover is especially nice. That's worth the price of the book alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill – If there is a book on your art, please let me know. I certainly would like to add your book to my book collection.
    Micah – Good luck!
    Thank you Soutchay and Tom - much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jednostavno sam se odusevila. Nisam mogla da verujem da ovakav kvalitet ilustracija postoji danas, a posebno mi je cast sto je to moj zemljak, jos emigrant kao ja ;)...
    pravim kolekciju dobrih knjiga jer planiram da drzim casove crtanja i slikanja i jednostavno nisam mogla da odolim tvojoj knjizi...hvala puno

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zaza - Da, emigranti su poseban soj i znaju ponekad da prijatno iznenade. Steta je sto matica ima obicaj da ih zaboravi...Najlepse hvala na lepim recima i puno srece i stvaralacke radosti!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suggest good information in this message, click here.
    ierras-ludicas
    livedraughts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent to browse your limited short article! I am searching in advance to sharing your adventures and encounters.สล็อตวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  10. Optimistic World-wide-web site, wherever did u think of the info on this publishing?I have analyze a lot of the article content or web site posts on the web site now, and I really like your style. Many thanks one million and you should sustain the efficient perform.สล็อตแตกง่าย

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This type of the great and sensible article This is commonly. I really seriously obtain it irresistible. It's so top-quality and so magnificent. I am just stunned. I hope that you select to go on to execute your perform comparable to this Quicker or later also...บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had been inspecting many within your info on this Web page And that i conceive this Globe-wide-World wide web Internet site is basically educational ! Carry on Placing up.บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had been inspecting many within your info on this Web page And that i conceive this Globe-wide-World wide web Internet site is basically educational ! Carry on Placing up.สล็อตเว็บใหญ่

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful put up! This really is a very amazing blog site which i will definitively come back to much more moments this yr! Lots of many thanks for helpful post.สล็อต ฝาก-ถอน true wallet ไม่มี บัญชีธนาคาร

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had been inspecting many within your info on this Web page And that i conceive this Globe-wide-World wide web Internet site is basically educational ! Carry on Placing up.บาคาร่าวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I have browsed a lot of the posts. This publish might be in which by I received undoubtedly quite possibly the most practical facts for my review. Thanks for submitting, It is feasible we will see additional on this. Have you ever been informed about some other Internet-sites on this difficulty.สล็อตทรูวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  17. An awesome information product and also great structure. Your Net web site warrants the entire favourable feedback it’s been obtaining. I could possibly be back right before extended For additional prime high quality contents.เว็บสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, today is an excessive amount outstanding for me, Given that this time I'm on the lookout as a result of this enormous instructive write-up under at my home. Thanks quite a bit for large energy.เว็บสล็อตเว็บตรง

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think This may be an informative publish and it can be vitally beneficial and proficient. Therefore, I would want to thanks for your endeavors you've produced in creating this text. Most of the created information is totally successfully-investigated. A lot of thanks...เว็บตรงสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing report, it is especially useful! I quietly started off Using this type of, and i am acquiring far more acquainted with it improved! Delights, keep carrying out a good deal more and further exceptional!เกมสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing work detailed right here on _______ I endure a great deal of weblog posts, but I hardly ever heard a topic like this. I like this material you crafted with regards into the blogger's bucket document. Incredibly resourceful.สล็อต เว็บ ตรง

    ReplyDelete
  22. เผยเคล็ดลับ บาคาร่า AUTOBET เลือกลงพนันเกมบาคาร่าออนไลน์ autobet จำเป็นที่จะต้องลงพนันเช่นไร ถึงจะทำให้การเล่นเกมบาคาร่าของคุณนั้น...

    ReplyDelete